Wednesday 1 December 2010

Review: 'Silent Night' by Juliet Groom (Children's Picture Book)

Silent Night

This picture book gives a modern re-telling of the much-loved Christmas carol, 'Silent Night'. The illustrations are a definite strength of this book. They are illuminous, warm and reflect the tender mood set by the words of the song within. As a parent I found myself more drawn to the text rather than my nearly 3-year old daughter (a little improvisation might be needed in places). There is no proper story-line, as there are in conventional picture books, for children to follow. The book is simply a song following the classic tune of 'Silent Night'. In honesty, I prefer some of the verses in this book to that in the original song! As I have read this book (and sang at times!) to my daughter, I have found myself getting those lumps in your throat that you get when you think about the beautiful meanings behind many of the words in the story. If your child doesn't get hooked into it, perhaps it isn't too bad of a thing for yourself to be more taken by it instead. I certainly have been! A recommended book to have on your shelves, especially at Christmas time. (Amazon.co.uk review by Timu Niwa)

No comments:

Post a Comment