Wednesday 17 November 2010

Poem: 'Off to see Penguins in Antarctica!'

I wrote this poem after being in the car with my daughter and she was desperate to go to the toilet...

‘I need to go to the toilet, Dad!’
Comes a voice from the back seat of the car.
‘I’m sorry,' I say, 'but we can’t stop today
For Antarctica is really quite far!’

‘Stop being so silly’
Says the voice once again, ‘I’m really quite busting right now!’
‘I’m being serious my love, the penguins’ just rung
And their home ain’t for another 24 hour!’

‘Well, send them a text back’
My daughter retorts, ‘I’m sure the penguins won’t really be bothered!’
Rolling her eyes, right up to the skies
If looks could kill, I’d be clobbered!

‘Now, now my dear love,
There’s no need for that, be thankful that we’ve been invited
To tea with the penguins and all of her cousins
For this I thought you’d be delighted!’

‘Oh Dad, stop being stupid!
I need to go pee, if I wet myself it’s all your fault!'
With a slump and a screel and a turn of the wheel
I brake... and we come to a halt.

‘Thank-you’, she says
‘Phew, that’s a relief!’ She goes and is back very soon.
‘Now, where are we really going to Dad?’
I say, ‘How ‘bout a quick trip to the moon?’

No comments:

Post a Comment